Entrepreneurship for Social Impact Minor
About the Minor
The Entrepreneurship for Social Impact Minor is designed for students who want to solve problems in today’s society and drive impact through innovation and new venture creation. Students build knowledge about societal issues and learn how to take practical action.
What you’ll learn
The minor helps students explore how to apply entrepreneurial thinking to starting, building, and running social enterprises, including mission-driven for-profit companies, nonprofits, and government agencies. You will learn to become an active citizen who knows how to take the first step towards solving the important problems of the world, wherever your personal and professional journey may take you.
Earning the Minor
To fulfill the Entrepreneurship for Social Impact Minor, students take six courses. See links to course lists in the next section.
- Three Civic Studies courses offered by Tisch College
- Three Entrepreneurship courses offered by Derby Entrepreneurship Center
For students in the School of Arts and Sciences, a maximum of two courses used to fulfill a foundation, distribution or concentration requirement may be used toward fulfillment of the minor. There are no restrictions for students in the School of Engineering.
All ENT courses include the following class attributes: BFA-Social Science, LA-Distribution-Social Sciences, SoE-HASS-Social Sciences.
- CVS 0020/PHIL 0020/PS 0020: Introduction to Civic Studies
- ENT 141/AMER 0141: Innovative Social Enterprises
- Two additional Civic Studies courses from the approved list
- Two additional Entrepreneurship Courses. We strongly recommend you take one of the following three foundational courses in entrepreneurship: ENT101 Entrepreneurship and Business Planning, ENT151 Entrepreneurship for Computer Science, or ENT161 Consumer Product Ventures. Also consider taking ENT193.04 Nonprofits, philanthropy and impact.
How to get the minor
Declare the minor
Students must declare the minor with the Registrar’s office. Please visit the Major and Minor Declaration page to learn more about this process. You can complete this process at any point during your experience with the Entrepreneurship for Social Impact Minor.
Complete the Minor Certification Form
After declaring the minor with Student Services, students must complete the Minor Certification Form. This can be completed before you have finished all required courses and before you have received final grades. Once the form is approved, we will return a signed copy to the student’s email address. Students will then bring the signed form to Student Services before their graduation period’s deadline.